Wednesday, April 16, 2014

If I was to get another tattoo ...

(photo credit to: inspirationbliss.com)
"Don't think about it - Just Do It."

If I was to get another tattoo, that would probably be the quote ...

Let me share two stories with you.

ONE.  When I was a young adult there was a very popular swimming hole in the area that locals called, High Rock.  I am not sure how high it actually was, but it seemed easily at least two and a half stories high. 

One day I went with some friends on a very hot summer day to this hole and after watching a few brave souls jump off this "High Rock" into the crisp clear pool below I felt that I wanted to try it myself.  Encouraged by my friends I scrambled to the top and walked the steep ridge of the rock to the jump point, a place where all jumps must pitch from to avoid a broken body at the end of the fall.  Suddenly I froze.  The height looked immense once I stood at the point and saw the possible catastrophe if I did not manage to jump out enough to clear the ledge below.  Fear froze my mind and my thoughts quaked with a reverberating, "No!  You can't do this."  However, deep within me, encouraging me, was the will that got me up there in the first place and the thirsting desire to fly through the air and feel the pleasure of accomplishment.

Behind me strangers encouraged me, but my fear and quaking mind held me in place.  Reluctantly I turned away from the edge, but I fought against this and turned to face the edge again - I wanted to jump!  Despite my desire my body would not go - my mind refused to give the commands!

Standing in this place of internal argument for what felt like forever I finally succumbed to the strength of my mind, turning around for the last time and walking the ridge of shameful return.

All I remember is looking at the strangers who had offered repeated encouragement in the shade of the evergreens and then falling through the air, watching the ledge come towards me with increasing speed and feeling relief as I continued to fall past and into the crisp cool water, where it enveloped me like a welcoming hug from an old friend.

TWO.  On my very first rock climbing event I was taken to a very popular indoor climbing gym by two brothers who were excited to share their passion and joy.  As I watched them climb with agile grace I decided that I was ready to move with their same fluidity.  As I got braced to climb a brother jokingly asked, "Going to the top?" (which WAS higher than two stories)  "Of course!" I retorted.

Half way up I met an outcropping and I had discovered - it was not as easy as they made it seem!  Weak in the arms I felt no strength to pull myself over the cropping, "I'm done", I yelled down.  "Okay", a brother replied with a hint of disappointment in his voice.

Next thing I knew I was at the top touching the ceiling and yelling to those below, "Coming down."  When I made it to the floor I wondered out loud, "Wow.  I thought I couldn't do that.  What happened?!"

"I was getting ready to bring you down when suddenly you were going up instead!  I don't know what happened!  I barely was able to keep enough slack in the line!"  exclaimed a brother.  "That was pretty cool!  You just flew up to the top!  You are like a natural."  shared the other brother.

Point of these two stories is this:  when I think about it, I think I can't do it.  Fear holds me.  When I don't think about it,  I just do it.

Don't think about it - just do it.
If you didn't think about it - what would you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment